Wednesday, July 9, 2014

It's the a Final Countdown!

Stardate:  -308480.43

In less than two weeks I will be representing the beautiful state of Kentucky at the Mrs. International Pageant!  Surprisingly, I find that I feel calm and relaxed as I prepare for this amazing opportunity.

When I arrive in Jacksonville, I will meet 65 other inspiring and driven women!  Make no mistake, this pageant is not about sizing up or getting the edge on the competition.  It is, and has always been, about having a dream and actively pursuing it!  My dream is to use the Mrs. International title to empower girls to dismiss the stereotypes that hold them back in the STEM fields.

This year I have tried to remember these simple steps:

1.  Never forget who you are.  It's easy to get caught up in what a pageant contestant should be.  In reality, you should be you!  Don't be afraid to hold back the things you love because it doesn't seem classy or glamorous enough!


2.  Never forget why you began.  My mission is one for girls and women!  So I specifically chose the International Pageant System because they support and encourage women in education, health, and civic responsibility.




3.  Never be afraid to publish yourself.  I mean this both figuratively and literally.  When I first began I didn't care for the idea of calling up organizations to showcase myself as Mrs. Kentucky International.  It seemed presumptuous.  However, I realized that I am not necessarily selling myself, but my platform.  It is called networking and it can be an amazing thing!  So, through this new found courage, I decided now is the best time to try to publish a children's book I have been working on.  It is directly inspired through the GEMS platform and I feel proud and confident with the opportunity!  

I am prepared and optimistic to compete at this year's International pageant!  Thank you sincerely to family, friends, colleagues, and community for your support!  


Tuesdays with Mobot at the Hosparus Lunar 5K in Elizabethtown, KY. 

-Jessica


No comments:

Post a Comment